Thursday 30 July 2009

Swimming

It wasn't a very focused session today. I'm currently aiming to do 8 lengths of a 25-metre pool in 3 1/2 minutes. I'm at 4 minutes now.

To put that into perspective, that's about half as fast as Michael Phelps doing butterfly. Although my lack of a £10,000 superhero-swimming suit may be hindering my progress.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/swimming/8174816.stm

Apparently it's all about stroke length and stroke rate. Currently I get about 19 strokes in per 25 metres, but when I try to up my stroke rate, my strokes become rubbish (so I'm doing more in a length) and I get really tired.

2 comments:

  1. I got down to 19 strokes per length but each lenght took about 5min 45sec, like you when I up'ed the speed the strokes when up to 30! If you take you cycling shoes off I understand that times can improve(Steph tells me that you have been seen in the pub in them and wore them in bed on the first night after buying them) .

    ReplyDelete
  2. But was your 19 strokes per length in Hathersage 30-metre pool?

    My kids have told me they like my new cycling shoes. Although if I were to use that as a basis for dress sense I would currently be wearing glitter, novelty underpants and fairy wings.

    ReplyDelete